- Follow mekong watch: Burma/Myanmar on WordPress.com
- Will the Dawei Economic Zone Benefit the People of Myanmar?
- Petition to JICA on Tanintharyi Region Development Plan
- Legal Framework for SEZs in Myanmar insufficient to protect human rights: ICJ Report
- Dawei SEZ Fact Sheet Available
- [MW Statement] Premature JICA Decision Violates Environmental Guidelines
Tag Archives: human rights violation
For a 17-minute introduction to the difficulties being faced by people living around the Dawei SEZ Development Project, see the video below (with Japanese subtitles). It includes interviews with villagers who lost jobs, land, or homes.
(Update on trespassing charge) Burma (Myanmar) Thilawa SEZ: Is waiting for appropriate resettlement measures and compensation equivalent to trespassing?
Translation of 26 Oct 2014 Mekong Watch Japanese blog post by Abante. PHOTO: Last home remaining in the Phase 1 area “I still live here even after the police charged me with trespassing. But I’m more anxious now. If I … Continue reading
On 30 September, Mekong Watch submitted an urgent letter to JICA and the Japanese Foreign Ministry. We are very concerned that one of the 3 people who filed a request for investigation into compliance with JICA’s safeguard policies in the … Continue reading
In many development projects, people get hurt. In the name of development and progress, some people are impoverished. It may be easy to say it is a necessary sacrifice, as long as it is not one’s own life being turned … Continue reading
In June, 3 residents affected by the Thilawa SEZ filed an official request for investigation into JICA’s compliance with its Environmental and Social Guidelines. One is currently being intimidated by local government officials with threats of a lawsuit if he … Continue reading