- Follow mekong watch: Burma/Myanmar on WordPress.com
- Will the Dawei Economic Zone Benefit the People of Myanmar?
- Petition to JICA on Tanintharyi Region Development Plan
- Legal Framework for SEZs in Myanmar insufficient to protect human rights: ICJ Report
- Dawei SEZ Fact Sheet Available
- [MW Statement] Premature JICA Decision Violates Environmental Guidelines
Tag Archives: Dawei
On April 2017, Mekong Watch submitted a petition to JICA regarding the Tanintharyi Region Development Plan. An English translation is provided here. In April, JICA was accepting bids from consultants to conduct the “Data Collection Survey for the Tanintharyi Region … Continue reading
For a 17-minute introduction to the difficulties being faced by people living around the Dawei SEZ Development Project, see the video below (with Japanese subtitles). It includes interviews with villagers who lost jobs, land, or homes.
Local groups demand accountability upon Japan’s announcement of official involvement in the Dawei SEZ
On August 4th, local community groups from Dawei (southern Burma) sent a letter to the Japanese Foreign Ministry, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) after Japan officially announced its involvement in the … Continue reading